The Chatterbox Service
The Chatterbox Service is a unique collaboration between the HSE and Cavan/ Monaghan County Childcare Committees. Our aims are to increase access to Speech and Language Therapy Services (SLT) for all preschool aged children (0-5). The Chatterbox Team consists of Speech and Language Therapists and an Assistant working in partnership with others in community and voluntary sectors. We work in partnership with childcare providers and families at a community level.
- Screening in preschools to identify speech and language needs and onward referral to the local SLT Dept., if required.
- Language support given to children with identified needs.
- Training and support for preschool staff in identifying SLT difficulties and stimulating speech and language development.
- Training and support for parents in stimulating speech and language development.
- Rhyme time and early language groups for parents and toddlers.
- Home visiting to identified families needing additional support.
- Involvement in ante-natal care to provide a preventative approach to ante-natal care.
- Community Speech and Language clinics located in two Family Resource Centres. The aim being to increase attendance by having the clinic more accessible for services users in these areas. A family centered approach is used to meet the complexity of need in the area. This involves working alongside community and statutory agencies.